Originally developed in 1906, the Chromel/Alumel thermocouple has been globally accepted as the most useful base-metal thermocouple combination. With the standard alloys, or one of several special alloy combinations, it is widely used over a temperature range of -328°F to +2300°F (–200 °C to +1260 °C).
The superior resistance of the alloys to oxidation allows the use of the bare metals throughout the useful range. With proper protection it can be used in almost any environment.
- Chromel-P Composition: 90 Ni, 10 Cr
- Alumel Composition: 95 Ni, 2 Mn, 2 Si, 1 Al
- Temperature range: to 2000°F (1260°C)
- Specific gravity: 8.73 Chromel / 8.60 Alumel
- Density: .3154 lb/in³ Chromel / .3107 Alumel (8.73 g/cm³ Chromel / 8.60 g/cm³ Alumel)
- Shipped in a stabilized condition