Corrosion/Oxidation Resistant Thermocouple Protection
Tantalum is one of the refractory metals. Its melting point of 5425°F (2996° C) is exceeded only by tungsten, rhenium and carbon.
Due to its workability, high temperature strength, corrosion resistance, and excellent thermal conductivity, tantalum tubing can be a good choice for thermocouple protection tubes for many applications from room temperature to over 5000°F, depending upon the atmosphere. Continuous operation in air should be limited to a maximum temperature of about 750°F. In vacuum, tantalum can be safely used to 5000°F.
Characteristics of Tantalum Tube
- Excellent corrosion resistance
- Excellent high temperature strength
- Good ductility at room temperature
- Readily fabricated and welded
- Resistance to most acids (except hydrofluoric) is comparable to glass and platinum at low temperatures
- Almost completely resistant to attack by many molten metals
- Avoid operation at elevated temperatures in oxygen, nitrogen or hydrogen due to embrittlement
- Avoid environments in electrolytic contact with materials such as nickel and its alloys, stainless steel or carbon steels
Applications for Tantalum Tube
- Available in straight lengths
- Cut to your specified length at no extra charge
- No minimum order
- Most orders shipped within 1-2 days
- Tubing is annealed. Chemistry conforms to ASTM B364 R05200
- Ta Tubing & Wire Data Sheet
- Temperature vs. EMF table
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Spool Specs
Stock Sizes – Tantalum Tube
|Outside Dia||Outside Dia Tolerance||Wall Thickness (In)||Wall Thickness Tolerance||ID Minimum* (In)|
*The minimum inside diameter shown is calculated based on tolerances for the outside diameter and wall thickness. The actual inside diameter may be slightly smaller than the figures shown in some localized areas. If your application calls for insulators with diameters that vary significantly and/or approach the ID shown, please check with us before placing your order to ensure we can select material that meets your requirements.
Contact us to discuss Purchasing details to fit your specific requirements.